Saturday, March 9, 2019

PARTY TIME TONIGHT

While Bunco night wasn't "waste free", I definitely cut down on the amount of waste that accompanies a 16 person potluck.  

The eco-friendly line starts here


For starters, the plates and forks are part of my party stash.  I bought 32 plates from the dollar store 15 years ago for my parents' 50 wedding anniversary.  Although I've given a few away with bakery treats, 28 still remain.  The napkins are used everyday.  They're easy to wash and last decades.  


Less than a load

For my contribution to the "green" theme, I made margarita jello shots.  The idea came around when I found a bag of shot cups in my party pantry.  I had tequila on hand and limes on our tree so the only purchase was lime jello and triple sec.  I sprinkled a little sea salt on top and wow!  It was just like a margarita.  My guests loved them.  Of course, the plastic cups are trash...or are they?  

Didn't stand a chance, did they

I soaked the cups in warm soapy water to melt the jello and clean the cups.  I'll be filling them with soil and planting a few seeds in each cup.  In a month, the seeds will have germinated and grown enough to be looking for a larger pot.  I'll be taking them to the next Bunco night, which is a Spring/Easter theme, to hand out to my fellow gardeners.  After that, the cups will be theirs to reuse or discard.  I'm just happy I didn't have to send them to the landfill.  

I made sorting the potluck waste easy (sort of) with labels, but this isn't your usual party set up.

Where does everything go?


So, how much waste did 16 women make?  I thought I'd take the plunge (literally) and figure it out.   I had already placed my bags in the trash bin when I was cleaning up last night so I grabbed my handy dandy plastic gloves (small sized plastic bags that I've saved) and went out to weigh the waste.


Waste not want not




I can't believe I'm going in 

This was pretty nasty, and something I wouldn't usually do, but all in the name of research, right?  I need to have a baseline figure for future party waste.  The total amount of landfill trash was 6.2 lbs.  Divided by 16 ladies, we were between 1/3 and 1/2 lb. of trash each for the evening.  Not bad.  FYI ladies...I'll be looking to lower that total next time it's my turn.


Bunco Buddies

Thanks to the awesome ladies who were part of my blog.  You're the BEST!!

Be well, be sustainable and happy gardening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment