Wednesday, March 6, 2019

I've arrived at day 6 of my "how low can I go" challenge.  I had hoped to keep my household waste inside until the weigh in but it's getting a little sour smelling in my kitchen.

Landfill to the left, recycling, reusing 
and upcycling to the right

I'm not quite sure where to put everything. My trash containers have been promoted to rain barrel status.

Catching the overflow from the rain gutters

I've heard that rainy days are made so that gardeners can clean the house.  Trapped inside for the morning I used a solar charged battery to shred scrap paper for the compost bin.  

Shredded "browns" for the 
compost bin

The battery had just enough juice to make it through shredding this pile.  With 4 days of rain in the future I won't be able to charge it again soon.  

After shredding the good stuff I was
left with (clockwise from the top)
a cardboard box to reuse or recycle,
2 envelopes that can be reused, 2 cards,
glossy paper for the recycling bin
and....

plastic envelope windows going
to the landfill

Just in case you didn't believe me about standing in the rain and syphoning water....

My husband snapped this picture of 
me draining water from the barrels
to use around my veggie garden

Be well, be sustainable and happy gardening!













No comments:

Post a Comment