Monday, March 4, 2019

TV TRASHES TRASH CHALLENGE

Day 4 starts with the knowledge that even though my trash (by weight) was minimal,

Everything here can be recycled, 
repurposed, or composted.

the 70 lb. tv and 2 lbs. of batteries and remotes put me way over my 4.4 lb. per person per day, but I'm no quitter so I will see this out to the end.

BTW, while dropping off my electronic waste I took a moment to speak with the attendant helping me.   Old TV's are crushed and become waste.  No recycling, no reusing of parts, no "after life".  Sad news for sure, and something I'll be mindful of in the future.


There was actually a paper plate, napkin and fork from a celebration I attended, but someone whisked them away while I was chatting with my cuz.  I don't know if I would have actually brought the paper plate home or not, but the napkin and fork would have definitely  made it into my purse for composting (napkin) and reusing (fork).  I'm always looking for ways to save money (and the planet) and when it comes to waste, you snooze, you lose.

Here are a few ways I keep my landfill waste to minimum

Food Bags

I decided to stop buying storage bags until I ran out of free options.  That was probably a decade ago. Free options include cereal bags, bread bags, tortilla bags, etc.  I shake any crumbs into the kitchen counter bin to be sent to the compost pile, and store the bags for future use.  


Storage containers

Reusing plastic storage containers keeps them out of the landfill longer and cuts out the need for plastic wrap.  While it is a hassle, consider taking one with you to a restaurant if you know you'll be packing something to take home.  Some plastics can be dangerous in the microwave.  Be cautious or better yet, transfer to a glass bowl before heating.


Plastic bags ready to tumble out

I bring reusable bags when I shop.  In fact, there's an 10¢ bag charge at stores in our area if you don't bring your own, and I'd be more likely to hand carry my items out then I would be to pay the dime if I forgot to bring a bag.  So really, where do all of these bags come from????  The answer:
EVERYWHERE!!!  Everything is wrapped in plastic, comes in plastic, gets stored in plastic.  It's beyond me why anyone would BUY plastic with all of opportunity to reuse what comes to us.  I use smaller (hand size) bags for picking up anything yucky (morning walk with the dog), medium size bags for storage, (especially when traveling) and larger ones line household trashcans.  If I ever run out, I'll buy some...but it's been more than 2 decades since I bought household trash bags so it certainly won't be happening anytime soon.

Cloth is King (or Queen) in our home

Cloth napkins are always the norm here, and make every meal more festive.  They take up very little room in the washing machine, and can be a perfect addition when you just need a few more items for a full load.  

Cloth handkerchiefs are my go to, but not my husbands.  I love how soft they are and they're easy to wash and reuse. If I'm sick, I'll opt for disposable, but the tissues get thrown in the fireplace to be burned on a chilly night.

Be well, be sustainable and happy gardening!!







No comments:

Post a Comment