Thursday, March 28, 2019

PAPER WEIGHT

Years ago I set out to find the best way to get rid of all of the paper that I was accumulating.  From household bills, junk mail and wrapping paper, there's so much paper!  I had 2 large boxes to sort through and responsibly dispose of.  But, what was the most responsible way to do so??  When buying paper products I buy items with a high amount of "post consumer waste" so recycling seemed the best way to go, but I shred it as a "brown" component of my compost bin and layer it in my "Lasagna" garden raised beds, so composting seemed the better choice.  Needing real answers, I spent 2 days combing through the internet for research on the subject.  The most comprehensive list came out of the UK, breaking down each choice-pros and cons.
To sum it up, these are the best ways to dispose of your paper:
  1. Compost it (shred paper first)
  2. Recycle it (and buy recycled paper products)
  3. Incinerate (use the ashes in your garden)
  4. Send it to the landfill 😢

To stop receiving unwanted junk mail: www.directmail.com/directory/mail_preference

Choose to have store receipts emailed to you as opposed to printed paper receipts.  Print out the receipts at home (if needed) on the 2nd side of already used paper.

Go paperless: Do your banking and bill paying on line and ditch the paper and envelopes.

Limit “One and done” purchases.  From diapers to paper towels, most of the “one and done” items we consume and toss every day have a “cloth” counterpart that’s a lot easier on the environment.  Even factoring in the use of water, detergent and, in some cases, bleach, cloth is still the best choice for the planet.

JUNK MAIL

Despite the above methods (and a no solicitors sign on my door)  I still end up with unwanted paper, and a stack accumulates in what seems like a breeding program.  Stacking it next to my shredder reminds me to use it before it takes over.   


Shredding Station

My spring garden has brought a lot of green material to the compost mix, but little in the way of brown (leaves) that my compost bin needs to balance things out, so much of my paper waste will be shredded and composted.  



Shredded junk mail and garden seed 
Christmas cards

If you're feeling crafty, try making homemade paper holiday cards.  This is a fun craft for adults and children, and a good reason to save your old cards.  Who can resist the fun of cutting up old cards and pasting the pieces on to the new ones?  


Instructions for eco-friendly
disposal

Adding seeds to the shredded paper is a fun way to share the beauty of your garden.  



One layer of my "Lasagna" bed


Old trashcans make great tomato pots (Blog 6-9-13)
with shredded paper


Kitchen waste


and potting soil


Check out my blog to see my plants!!





Add paper to your kitchen bin.
It'll absorb moisture from your
kitchen scraps and by the time 
you add it to your bin or pile it's 
already starting to break down.


If you're not able to reuse or compost your paper, please add it to your recycling bin. 
Every ton of recycled paper saves trees, energy and water, and, according to the EPA causes 35% less water pollution and 74% less air pollution than making paper from raw materials.  

Whether crafting or composting, reusing or recycling, lowering your paper waste is one of the easiest ways to go green.

Be well, be sustainable and happy gardening!!



















No comments:

Post a Comment