Saturday, January 29, 2011

New Use For Old Christmas Lights

My sugar snap peas are doing very well.  So well, infact that they are taller than the 6' trellis that I am growing them on, and are now starting to flop over.  About 5 weeks ago I used some left over twine (from hauling the Christmas tree home) to make a zig zag up the trellis to train the vines on.  They have grown so much since then that I wanted to make another zig zag closer to the top of the trellis. 
A leftover strand of christmas lights fit the bill this time.  Origionally they were strung up around a fountain on our patio, but time (and possibly a rat or two) have taken their toll, and the strand was beyond repair.
I pulled out all of the lights, setting them aside for possible future use.  I never throw anything out.
Starting near the bottom I wove the strand up and arround the trellis. 



The green color of the light strand fits in well in the garden and the wire, which is both strong and flexible, should last for many seasons. 


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea can't wait to see what you come up with next

    ReplyDelete