Monday, April 4, 2011

The "Invisible" Planter

Today's project is a 3 tier plant stand.  It could be used on a patio or balcony and would look great planted with annuals or herbs.  The only materials needed were:
tomato cage
pliers
wire cutters
chicken wire
potting soil
spagnum moss
gloves

Turn the tomato cage upside down.  Using the pliers or your hands, bend each of the "legs" of the cage into a loop so that there are no pointed ends sticking up.
Wearing the gloves and using the wire cutters, cut the chicken wire into circles that will fit inside each of the circles of the tomato cage.  Bend the chicken wire into a bowl shape and place in the circle, wraping the wire edges of the "bowl" around the hoops of the cage to hold the it in place.

I started at the top and worked down, however I think that it would have been a bit easier if I had started from the bottom and worked up.
The moss was to be used to hold the potting soil in place, but as I started lining the chicken wire bowls I realized that I wouldn't have enough to get the job done. Out of necessity I lined the bowls with plastic dry cleaning bags instead.
I filled the bowls with potting soil and poked a few holes in the bottom of the plastic for drainage.  I tucked the moss into chicken wire to hide some of the plastic.

My new planter is filled with potting soil and is ready to go.  I can't wait to see it filled with herbs and flowers and I will follow up with another picture as soon as possible.
The inspiration and the instructions for this project came from a book called "Trash to Treasure #6" which is a Leisure Arts Publication.  I purchased my book at EdwardHamilton.com, which has low prices on new and older books, and shipping for one low price of $3.50.


Follow up: I planted the tiers with herbs and they proceeded along quite well until the birds pulled out all of the Spanish moss for their nests. 
There it sat, for months, while I looked for a free replacement for the Spanish moss.  Then one day, out of the sky, came the replacement.  OK.  Not really out of the sky, but off of the neighbors palm tree.

It was a big piece of fiberous material, pliable enough to be cut and formed into the chicken wire cages.
Water drains through the weave and on to the plants below.
I'm currently using the planter to hold some extra strawberry plants that were left over after planting time.  

 


 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. How did it work out? Do you have any pictures of it planted?

    ReplyDelete